The Covid pandemic has lent a welcome sense of urgency to the move towards environmentally friendly and ecologically responsible decisions and lifestyles. This will not only help protect the environment and sustain its natural resources for current and future generations but make our own lives more healthy and enjoyable.
RBKC’s Environment Select Committee is one of the council’s scrutiny committees, which means that local councillors who are not part of the council’s decision-making leadership team scrutinise and hold the council’s leadership to account and to investigate issues affecting life in the borough.
The Environment Select Committee has the power to scrutinise topics related to:
· the preservation, enhancement, and protection of the built and natural environment and partnerships connected to this;
· the performance of the Planning Department;
· environmental quality and cleanliness,
· pollution and environmental health matters;
· traffic management;
· and other related issues.
The main scrutiny priorities for the Environment Select Committee were decided by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee in September 2020.
Over the next municipal year, the Environment Select Committee has been tasked with scrutinising four priority topics:
· The delivery of the Council commitment to become a carbon-neutral organisation by 2030
· How the Council can improve the management of streets by developing a single resident-facing customer service
· Healthy homes
· Planning policy
The Select Committee will carry out scrutiny of these topics throughout the municipal year. Meeting papers, minutes and videos of the last meeting on 3rd February 2021 can be found through the link below, click on page 1: